A Vintage Crate   +  love

More about Me

.

Sara from A Shower of Roses has asked me to participate in a quick getting-to-you-know-you interview. I thought it'd be fun to participate and that perhaps my readers would like to know a little more about me.

1. How soon after high school did you and dh get married, since you were sweethearts? If you were young, do you recommend getting married young?

I met my future husband when I was a only a junior in high school. He was good friends with the boy who lived next door to me. He had already graduated and had a full-time job. After dating for five years, we got engaged on the night before my college graduation. Two years later, on June 27, 1992 I married my best friend.

At the time we were married, I was 24, which I guess is considered at the younger end of the spectrum nowadays. For me, it didn't seem young, as my hubby and I had been together for seven years already. However, if I had a 24 year-old daughter who wanted to marry a man she'd only know a short time, I think I might advise her to wait a little longer, since 24 is still pretty young.

2. I notice you like to do crafts. What's your favorite medium or outlet for your creativity?

As far as crafting goes, I would characterize myself as a 'dabbler.' In the past, I have been known to sew, knit, and crochet. More recently, I've played around with jewelry-making, creating cards, and embellishing clothes. I am intrigued by altered art, and am especially inspired to use items that I already possess or to repurpose items that I find during my thrifting expeditions.

3. What do you look for when you're out at thrift stores? And what kind do you go to besides Goodwill?

Lately, I have been drawn to 100% wool sweaters, glass jars, and costume jewelry, among other things. I also scour the book department looking for old books, particularly dictionaries, gardening texts, and poetry. There is an amazing Salvation Army Family Store that has recently opened near my home, which has quickly become my favorite thrifting destination.

4. What do you do with your finds?

I have accumulated a collection of wool sweaters, which I intend to 'felt.' Basically, this means that you machine wash and dry them, which shrinks the wool and creates a soft, furry fabric that can be used for many applications. I plan to use this felted wool for making decorative pillows, embellishing clothes and perhaps even sewing a patchwork throw blanket.

5. What do you hope to accomplish by blogging, or is it just another creative outlet?

As I have alluded to before, blogging for me has been an important part of my recovery (from chronic pain.) I've been the recipient of so much goodwill and camraderie from other bloggers. For me, blogging is about reaching out to similarly-minded individuals, sharing ideas about art, food, parenting, crafts, books, music, and everyday life. I love learning new things, and find that there are so many wonderful blogs out there. I'm only limited by a lack of time to visit them all.

**If you are a blogger, and would like to participate in a quickie Interview, please leave a note in your comment, and I will choose 5 questions for you to answer.