A Vintage Crate   +  health

My Word for 2009

"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."

Laurie from TipJunkie is hosting a Word of 2009 challenge. She's asked us to think about one word that sums up what we want for ourselves in 2009. And, one person will be chosen to win a custom pendant necklace with her word for 2009, compliments of Tabetha from Reminisce Heirlooms.

There are many inspirational words that would be good choices for me - Simplify, Organize, Faith, Love, Patience. Every one of these words decribe something I need more of in my life. However, the main focus of 2009 for me is to restore my health.

2008 was not a very good year for me. It seemed like the word I chose for last year must have been PAIN. I spent the whole year in and out of doctors' offices, MRI machines, and pharmacies. Oh, and, how can I forget my bed...that is where you could find me most of the time.

After undergoing spinal surgery in May, I tried various therapies including countless PT sessions and even acupuncture. I am slowly improving, but nowhere near my former active lifestyle. Towards the end of 2008, I was starting to become a little depressed about my situation and the future.

But, as the new year begins, I have renewed focus on my health. I have a new physical therapist who not only seems very knowledgable about what is causing me continued pain, but he's also showing exercises and adjustments that I can do for myself. Today, I am feeling empowered and hopeful. I feel that this year is going to be a much better year for me.

So, to get to the point... The word I have chosen for 2009 is HEAL. I will strive to heal both my body and spirit. I plan to focus my thoughts and activities toward reaching my goal of a healthy body and mind.

Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2009?