A Vintage Crate   +  favorite sites

YouTube Phenom: Lauren Luke

In a previous post, I mentioned that I haven't got a clue when it comes to applying eye shadow. Well, guess what, my friends? I think I may have just found the person who can change that for me...

Her name is Lauren Luke and she's a 27 year-old single mother living in a working-class town in the north of England. She's not a trained makeup artist; she just has this innate ability to apply gorgeous eye makeup. Lauren creates short video tutorials in her small bedroom, and uploads them to YouTube under the username panacea81. Some of her most-viewed tutorials are her recreations of celebrity-inspired looks.

Not only is Lauren amazingly talented, but she's also very likable (and quite funny!) Her accent is pretty cool, too, quite similar to a Scottish brogue. Lauren is a YouTube phenomenon, with millions and millions of hits. She was even one of the first YouTube partners in the UK, meaning that she shares in the revenue of its advertisements. Currently, Lauren's in the process of launching her own cosmetics line, and will be penning a beauty column in The Guardian newspaper's Weekend edition beginning tomorrow.

The BBC Channel One has even produced a mini-documentary on Lauren. You can view the nearly 9 minute episode on YouTube, using the following link:

Okay, I am now committed to learning the fine art of eye makeup application. With Lauren's help, I think I just might be able to figure it out.