A Vintage Crate   +  vintage

Vintage Buttons

I adore vintage buttons. I have a small collection, most from my hubby's grandmother. When she passed away, he specifically asked if he could have her basket of buttons. He fondly remembered playing with them during family get-togethers.

I've added some of these buttons to a few charm bracelets I made. I think they add lot of character.

I even framed rows of fancy mother-of-pearl buttons, which decorate the dining room wall.

Today, I made a ring using 3 old buttons. I've seen this project all over blogland, and I thought I'd give it a try. The buttons can either be attached to a metal ring using a strong glue, or sewn together using thin elastic. I chose to use elastic, since I already had that on hand.

This is such a simple project, and quick! It only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. This would make a fun craft project for children old enough to handle a needle. Since these rings are relatively cheap and easy to make, they would be a wonderful idea to create holiday gifts.

If you're interested in making a button ring like the one I made, here's what you you'll need:

buttons in staggered sizes

thin sewing elastic (I used 1/4 inch)

sewing needle

thread

First, make a loop of elastic by overlapping the ends. Make sure it's slightly smaller than your finger since the elastic will stretch.

Next, stack the buttons together, then sew them onto the top of your loop.

That's it! How easy is that? I'm not sure I'm loving the white elastic. I wonder if it comes in other colors, like black.


Ugh! I never noticed how old my hands are looking... I better start slathering on the moisturizer post-haste.