A Vintage Crate   +  wainscoting

Board & Batten

I have been dying to do this board and batten technique in this room for months but it has been the temporary home for my husband's office, full of bookshelves and a big desk. But after 1 week, 2 changes in plans, and 3 different shades of white paint, it's finally done.

I wanted to add a little character to the room to match the rest of the house. I love the wainscotting in my front entry,

and the trim and windows in my dining/kitchen area.

I ended up going with 5' vertical slats that were 1 1/2" wide, and 3 1/2" horizontal ones. I cut a 45 degree angle at the bottom of each slat so that they would slowly angle to the baseboard width. After 3 different cans of white paint I finally got the perfect match, swiss coffee. It matched the existing trim and baseboard color, so I didn't have to repaint it all.

Now it was time to decorate. I pulled out my really old Pottery Barn slipcovered couch that's been sitting in the garage. I found this end table/file drawer at the thrift store. It reminds me of recent Restoration Hardware catalog wares with the rustic hardware and bookplate detailing.

I pulled out these pillows purchased at Restoration Hardware that I've been storing in my closet.

They have a french inspired theme with a feed sack look, without all the itchiness.

This room will be our piano room as the kids are beginning piano lessons. Now I just have to find a piano.