A Vintage Crate   +  trip

Coffee With... ... Kishani Perera

Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting up with Interior Designer Kishani Perera at her LA shop Rummage.

Im sure you have seen Kishani's work all over Blogland, Pinterest and in many shelter magazines from Better Homes & Gardens to House Beautiful. Her work is well known and is simply breathtaking. I love that each of her interiors reflect a well collected, warm and inviting space, yet still hold true to the homeowners desires and lifestyle.

Here is what Kishani had to say: When did you know that Interior Design was your passion? My friends and I were very much into retro fashion in high school, so thrift shops and vintage boutiques were some of my favorite haunts. One day I saw this beautiful vintage steamer truck, I handed over my entire allowance so I could take it home. Where do you find your inspiration? I love art, fashion, movies… I find inspiration from old photos and the elegance of days gone by. I love the bright colors and sounds of outdoor markets, and I adore Europe and the historical elegance of so many places there. I also find inspiration in beautiful ornate architecture and patterns. What is your favorite book/magazine on design? How about your favorite site? I am obsessed with Tony Duquette. The majesty of his work, the sheer opulence and beauty of the pieces he’s created and incorporated into design inspire and excite me. Magazine-wise, I love World of Interiors, Elle Decor and House Beautiful. 1st Dibs, ebay, etsy, and Pinterest are some of the most creative, fascinating sites. Seeing what interests people and having a virtual pin-board to highlight curiosities I find on the web is ingenious. What is the most frustrating aspect of your job as a designer? And the most rewarding one? The most frustrating thing right now is that with my work load I’m not able to travel as much as I would love to shop for clients abroad. I find so much inspiration being immersed in other cultures, I wish I could take a trip somewhere new every year! As for rewarding, it’s a thrill every time someone I work with says, “Wow this is exactly what I was hoping for” when they see the vision I had for their room become a reality. It’s wonderful to know that your instincts about a person and their tastes are on the mark and have been executed far beyond their expectations! What decorating techniques/ideas/projects would you recommend to a homeowner who wants a quick fix to their room? New toss cushions for a sofa or chair are immediate “pick-me-ups”. I also think painting the room or one wall of a room can instantly breathe new life into a space. What’s something you should never skimp on when decorating your home? Never skimp on your mattress and bedding. And invest in good basics for your home that you know you’ll have forever. 
 What’s your favorite color combination lately? A mix of pastels with earthtones Your Most cherished possession? My most treasured possession is my boy, Bob. He’s my 17 yr-old pug and he is the best! What would your dream project be? An amazing 18th century home in the south of France or maybe a beautiful old barn house in Europe that we could convert into a gorgeous family homeIf you would like to see more of Kishani's work I highly recommend getting her book Vintage Remix. She's offering a signed copy on her website.