A Vintage Crate   +  Trees

Coffee With...

I am so excited to start back to my "Coffee With" Series. Today I have one of my favorite and funniest blogger/Designers. Sherry Hart from Design Indulgence. Sherry has an amazing eye for design and her sense of humor just keeps you coming back for more.

Here's what Sherry had to say:
When did you know that Interior Design was your passion? I was quite interested in how my room looked as a kid growing up... .and now when I think about it, my Mom had a keen eye for decorating also. It wasn't until my husband and I bought a home and renovated it that I had my official "ah ha" moment!!! There was NO stopping me after that... ..I was like a horse at the starting gate... .. Where do you find your inspiration? I can find inspiration everywhere. Seriously, and I know some of you can relate to this... .one little thing can spark a whole room re-do. A color scheme... ..a good paint color... a new fabric... .being able to do it for other people helps so much! I don't have too much time to work on my own place and often projects just sit around getting cobwebs on them... ..I think there is inspiration in the seasons also... I can tell when things were bought in my clients homes... .warm tones [fall and winter] and then there will also be light and colorful [spring and summer] items. What is your favorite book/magazine on design? How about your favorite site? I'm not sure what my favorite book is right now... I am loving Holly's [Decor8] book "Decorate" ... and an old favorite is Atlanta Bartlett's "At Home With White". White is one of my go to colors... ..As far as magazines... I still miss Cottage Living... ..that one was the perfect mix for me.What is the most frustrating aspect of your job as a designer? And the most rewarding one? The most frustrating part of my job is when people fight me. They call me for a consultation and then they want to tell me how the room is going to look, or argue with me on certain issues. I am very conscious on how people use a space AND how to make it function for the family. Of course I don't believe that they have to do everything I say... ... but after doing this for 20 years, I think I have learned a thing or two :) On the other hand... .they are paying me to give them the best design I can... .so please let me do my job!The rewarding part is watching their response after install day... ... finally they see how my plan came together... ... it is like a huge sigh of relief knowing that I have earned their trust for future work. What decorating techniques/ideas/projects would you recommend to a homeowner who wants a quick fix to their room?
Quick fixes are all over the place... start with just taking everything out of your room. [hello husband... are you busy?] Everything . Empty. Step 1 ... ..after that... .. replace the large pieces of furniture first. Then the rug. Then the tables, lamps, artwork, pillows and accessories last. Shop your own home to bring new items into the space. I guarantee you will have a couple boxes of things left over. EDIT... ... don't feel like you have to have something in every corner or art on every wall. Remember, the eye needs a place to rest. Then the usual... paint, new pillows... .reframe items... .and sometimes just some fresh flowers! What’s something you should never skimp on when decorating your home?
I am a big believer that in a family room get the BEST furniture you can afford. That way it will keep it's shape and you can have it recovered down the road. Also... nice lighting. And lot's of it. Check for scale with lamps. King size bed... larger lamps... .high ceilings taller lamps. I love a lamp in the kitchen on the counter, if you have space. What’s your favorite color combination lately?
I know that the soft blues are not the color of the moment, but I am a fairly neutral gal... and I am still loving them. I gravitate toward blues, greens and earth tones. Still love gray as a backdrop on walls... .it is so neutral and goes with everything. I am not a huge pattern person, I get tired of it quickly so I usually keep that for things that can be changed out easily. I doubt I would ever do a big pattern on a sofa unless I had some slipcovers to cover it 6 months out of the year. Your Most cherished possession?
Of course my most cherished possessions are my family... ..but if we are talking material things... .well... .I have this old metal sign that I have had for years and believe it or not it is one of the few things that is still in it's original space since the day I hung it!!! Abbe Fenimore-Stuido Ten 25 Kirsten Krason- 6th Street Design School Emily Hewett- A Well Dressed Home Stacy Curran- Conspicuous Style Liz Caan Interiors