A Vintage Crate   +  table

Guest Post: Emily Hewett from A Well Dressed Home

I am so excited today to have Emily Hewett from A Well Dressed Home . As soon as I found Emily's blog I was hooked! Her style is sublime and so refreshing. I was honored that she agreed to guest post here on AC at Home and was even more excited when I read the post. I am all about lightening & brightening rooms! These tips are spot-on!! Take it away Emily:

Welcome! I am Emily Hewett, author and owner of A Well Dressed Home, based in Dallas, TX. I am so excited to be guest posting on Amanda's blog today... I am a huge fan of her style and the soft neutral color pallet that she has used throughout her home! She has such exquisite taste!
Today I want to share with you quick design tips on a subject that every single one of my clients has expressed frustration with... .How to "lighten & brighten" the interior of your home.
Many of you live in homes with an overwhelming amount of brown. Brown sofas, brown chairs, brown tables, even brown wood wall paneling. While brown is a great color, it has too often become the default color, and too much of it can make a home feel dark, drab and dingy.

So here are 5 simple ways to lighten & brighten your space:

1. Paint! Paint is the least expensive way to make a big impression... .Get rid of those dark walls, paint over that wood paneling! I recommend a soft gray or beige for the walls paired with a soft white ceiling and a creamy trim. Some of my favorites are: Pratt and Lambert Kodiak Gray, Martha Stewart Bedford Gray and Benjamin Moore Brandon Beige. Here are a couple of great examples of rooms with a lovely soft wall color...

Veranda

decorpad.com

2. Again... Paint! Give that dingy brick fireplace a fresh new look with a coat of soft white paint... I usually recommend a color similar to your trim. Don't be afraid of it, it will look fabulous!

[
decorpad.com

Young House Love

3. Let there be light! Add a stylish chandelier to bright up the room... here is one of my favorites from Overstock.com...

Overstock.com

4. Incorporate reflective and glass accents. Mirrored furniture, clear glass vases, lucite lamps, chrome picture frames.

Z Gallerie

Overstock.com
5. If you are looking to work around your existing brown furniture, incorporate items such as ivory pillows, linen or white drapes and a large sisal area rug.

Cotton Canvas Window Panel
West Elm

www.decorpad.com
I know these 5 steps will be easy for you to follow... After all, these are the rules that I lived by while remodeling my Kitchen :

Kitchen Before:
"

[

Kitchen After:

As well as when I was redecorating my Living Room :
Living Room Before:

[Living Room After:

Thanks again to Amanda for inviting me to guest post today... it was an honor! Happy Decorating!!
Thanks so much Emily! I have to admit I was quite excited when I read her tips and realized I have recently applied all of them to my own home. I got rid of the darks and lightened up. AND I even own that chandelier she recommended!